30k OOTYULRA will be run on the mountain roads (~1000 m elevation) with close to 25 km non-repeating sections. The first 5 km is run on flat roads, and the ascend to the Dodabetta Peak starts from the 6k onwards. From there till about 10k, it’s an uphill which will take you to the second-highest peak in South India.
Most runners will reach when daylight is already broken, and you can have a breathtaking view of the blue mountains from that height. Some early runners can even witness the sun rising from the plains, and on a clear day, one can even see the Ooty town, the lake, and the racecourse.
After the 10 km, you will run down, reach the four roads junction, and run towards Kothagiri. At 15 km, you will reach Tea Park; this is the finish point for all categories. After a refuelling stop, you will leave the Tea Park and get to the second 15 km section. Follow the route markers on the roads/road intersections carefully.
From 15k to 30k is a loop of 15k with steep downhill sections and a winding uphill section to complete.
Distance accuracy: The 30k distance is approximate with a +/- 1 km due to variations in the measurements approach vs GPS device accuracy.
Top finishers & course record
|Year||Bib Number||Name||Gender||Finish time||Pace|
|2018||3039||A. Kalaimani (IND)||Women||4:11:41||08:23|
|2019||S-783||Yasmin G (IND)||Women||3:45:23||07:31|
|2022||T-294||Paras Khushalani (IND)||Men||2:41:31 (CR/MR)||05:23|
|2022||T-253||Sandya Shanker (IND)||Women||3:26:31 (WR)||06:53|
Expo, Start & Finish locations
- #ultramalaivasi expo & bib collection Venue: Hotel Tamil Nadu, Wenlock Road, near Charring Cross, Ooty
- Start point: Tamil Nadu Tourism Ooty Boat House
- Finish point: Government Tea Park, Battarkambai) ~8.3 km away from the start
#ultramalaivasi expo and BIB-collection
- Must be 18 years old (born on or before 1-Apr-2005).
- Must be physically/medically fit and healthy
- Must have completed minimum an official Half Marathon within 3 hrs. You are qualified to apply if you have completed any Ultramarathon within the OOTYULTRA Qualification Window.
- Read the FAQ & Race Rules pages carefully to undersatnd the Qualification Window period for this edition of OOTYULTRA.
- Your qualification race must have been completed and submitted to us within the qualification window
Race start time
- 6.30 am, reporting time is 5.45 am.
|Time from the start||No cut-off||5:30:00|
- Check the registration page
- Plan to reach Ooty on Saturday before 12.00 pm
- Plan to depart from Ooty on Monday after a good rest on Sunday
- Visit the Travel section to learn more about the travel options
- Every 4-5k
Aid Station Supplies
- Ultramarathon-friendly fruits & snacks
- Breakfast at the finish
- Your BIB must be worn on your chest
- A working mobile phone with the event emergency number stored in it
- 2 layers of clothing to protect from cold/wind (first 1 hr)
- Headscarf to protect ears at the start line
- Hand gloves (recommended for first-timers to the mountains)
- 4.30 pm @ the #ultramalaivasi Expo on Saturday, 1st April, 2023
- Light breakfast
- Medical & Recovery tent at the finish area
- Buses will bring you back to Ooty. Check the pre-event announcements regarding the bus timings.