15k OOTYULRA will be run on mountain roads with close to 12 km of non-repeating sections. The first 5 km is run on flat roads, and the ascend to the Dodabetta Peak starts from the 6k onwards. From there till about 10k, it’s an uphill (~500 m elevation) which will take you to the second-highest peak in South India.
Most runners will reach the peak when daylight is already broken, and you can have a breathtaking view of the blue mountains from that height. Some early runners can even witness the sun rising from the plains, and on a clear day, one can even see the Ooty town, the lake, and the racecourse.
After the 10 km, it’s a downhill run to reach the four roads junction and towards Kothagiri. At 15 km, you will reach the Tea Garden; this is the finish point for all categories.
Distance accuracy: The 15k distance is approximate with a +/- 1 km due to variations in the measurements approach vs. GPS device accuracy
Top finishers & course record
|Year||Bib Number||Name||Gender||Finish time||Pace|
|2018||1522||Giorgos Manoudis (Greece)||Men||1:33:57||06:16|
|2018||1520||Chandni Shyam (IND)||Women||1:55:24||07:41|
|2019||F-246||Ben Reynolds (UK)||Men||01:17:22||05:09|
|2019||F-005||Bhavani Ramamurthi (IND)||Women||01:48:58||07:16|
|2022||F-391||Balaji Perumal (IND)||Men||1:16:48 (CR/MR)||05:07|
|2022||F-356||Aarathi Swaminathan (IND)||Women||1:45:07 (WR)||07:00|
Expo, Start & Finish locations
- #ultramalaivasi expo & bib collection Venue: Hotel Tamil Nadu, Wenlock Road, near Charring Cross, Ooty
- Start point: Tamil Nadu Tourism Ooty Boat House
- Finish point: Government Tea Park, Battarkambai) ~8.3 km away from the start
#ultramalaivasi expo and BIB-collection
- Must be 16 years old (born on or before 1-Apr-2007)
- Must be physically/medically fit and healthy
- Must be capable of running a 10k run minimum
- No pre-qualification race is needed for registration
Race start time
- 6.30 am, reporting time is 5.45 am.
- No cut-off rule is applicable – all finishers will receive the finisher medal.
- However, the last mobile aid station (approx. 12k) before the finish will be operational only for the first 3 hr from the start.
- Check the registration page
- Plan to reach Ooty on Saturday before 12.00 pm
- Plan to depart from Ooty on Monday after a good rest on Sunday
- Visit the Travel section to learn more about the travel options
- Every 4-5k
Aid Station Supplies
- Electrolytes & water
- Lemon & salt
- Oranges & more
- Your BIB must be worn on your chest
- A working mobile phone with an event emergency number stored in it
- Two layers of clothing to protect from cold/wind (first 1 hr)
- Headscarf to protect ears at the start line
- Hand gloves (recommended for first-timers to the mountains)
- 4.30 pm @ the #ultramalaivasi Expo on Saturday, 1st April, 2023
- Light breakfast
- Medical & Recovery tent at the finish area
- Buses will bring you back to Ooty; check the pre-event announcements regarding the bus timings.